The Recyclability Protocol will be a research-based approach for users to assess the extent to which fiber-based packaging may be recyclable and does not pose known challenges for the residential recycling system. The methodology for the Protocol is based on the ISRI Board of Directors-approved definition of recyclable materials, which is “a previously used material that can be processed into specification-grade commodity for which a market exists.”
The Protocol will be an online tool that automatically scores each criterion based on the methodology research conducted for the Protocol. The results will determine whether the packaging meets the criteria of the Protocol or has challenges that require modifications or testing or does not meet the criteria.
The Protocol focuses specifically on recycling post-consumer fiber-based packaging that will be marketed in the United States.
Call for Comments
ISRI is issuing a public call for comments for feedback on the Protocol. The comment period will be open from October 5 to November 4, 2022.
Instructions for Commenting
- Begin by clicking on the green “Submit Comments” button below.
- A separate window will open. At the bottom of each page use the green buttons to navigate forward or back.
- Review each module carefully.
- There is a comment box at the end of each section/module. Please insert all of your comments related to that particular section/module in the box.
- If necessary, you can save your responses and return to complete the document later.
- When complete select the “Done” button.
- If you wish to change or add to your responses, you can go back to document at any time up until the closing date at midnight ET on November 4.